Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Charity Knitting

Pin It

Once a week a newsletter arrives in my inbox that determines how we will be spending far too much of our time and money over the following few weeks.  I talk, of course, of the school newsletter.  Amidst tales of athletic prowess, parent committees and what seems to be an all consuming obsession with enrolments, there also lies a "Dates to remember" section detailing special assemblies (more often than not requiring some sort of costume), events that require a financial contribution (when do they not) and all manner of meetings, which I have for the most part thus far managed to avoid.  

Last week's newsletter though, contained a wonderful event organised by the students of the Junior School Council to aid the Salvation Army:   The JSC fundraiser group are organising donations for The Salvation Army to assist those who need our help. Each class has been given a box (hamper) to fill over the next 2 weeks with items that can help those less fortunate than us during Winter. It would be very nice if you were able to donate a few warm things like: jumpers of all sizes, beanies, toys, plush/soft toys, scarves, gloves, socks, packaged food (not out of date and not requiring a fridge or freezer) and cans of food.   

Its timing could not have been better as Andie, who having recently bought herself a set of loom/knifty knitters, was desperately looking for her next project.  It was quickly decided a scarf would be ideal and the instructions provided by Fayme Harper are easy  to follow and Fayme's finished product looks fabulous.  One of the joys of the loom knitter is that the results are very consistent,  which of course doesn't always happen when items are crafted by an eleven year old!  We also came across this great hint about using a hollowed out pen as a styler to thread the wool on the loom knitter (we use a third of a straw - can't see the point of ruining a perfectly good pen).   Andie decided on two shades of cream wool and she's well on her way to having the scarf completed in time.



If you're thinking of knitting for charity, there's many organizations that could use your help:

Australia

If you know others, please leave a comment below and I'll be sure to add them to the list.



Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.  

13 comments:

  1. One moment, I'll post mine soon. just wanted to say I love your new site!teddy bears for babies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a great charity: https://www.facebook.com/100HatsFor100Kids?fref=ts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen - what a great charity. I've added the details to the blog post. Deb

      Delete
  3. Www.beautifulandbald.com
    http://www.facebook.com/TheBeautifulAndBaldMovement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the link. I've added your wonderful charity to the blog - Deb

      Delete
  4. Being a retired veteran, I found a use for my obsessive compulsive loom hat knitting disorder. I made this past year 93 hats and distributed them to various Veteran Organizations for homeless veterans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing effort! I haven't tried making a hat on the loom knitter yet, but you've inspired me to give it a try. - Deb

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the charity links, Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started knitting (with the loom), so I haven't done anything for charity. I would like to do it in the future once I get the hang of it. I would probably do breast cancer clinic or baby hats for military. I thought this scarf would be beautiful for breast cancer center in pink. What stictch is it? I would love a tutorial or link for it if you have it. I don't exactly know how to read a pattern. The few things I have done have been from youtube videos. Any tips? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie. I've included a link to a youtube video in the blog post and that's a great starting point for the scarf. I found the best way to start was with videos I found online. Hope this helps - Deb

      Delete
  7. Project Linus is also a great charity.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis