Saturday, 4 August 2012

Left Hander’s Lament (an ongoing series where a lefty learns to crochet)

Pin It
From the outset I would like to state that I love that I'm left handed.  It's as much a part of me as my iced coffee addiction and short stature and I'm  always the first of my friends on Facebook to wish everyone "Happy  Left Handers Day "(which falls on August 13th this year in case you're wondering), but from my experience there are three things which are tiresome, if not downright annoying, to those of us that are blessed with a preference to use our left hands.  These annoyances are, in no particular order:

-smudging ink when trying to write
- learning to knit
- learning to crochet

I'm pleased to say that thanks to the wonders of the technological age, I rarely use a pen these days, so the ink smudging isn't really an issue.  Learning to knit was tackled as a youngster when my right handed father, who having learned to knit as a child, managed to work out how to reverse the knitting process so that he could teach me to knit left handed - what a champion he is.  I'm not sure how many daughters were taught to knit by their father, but I'm proud to say that I'm one of them.

And so that leaves crochet. 

I have thought for a while that not being able to crochet was a glaring hole in my crafting vocabulary and I really should make amends, but did nothing about my learning while I concentrated on other projects...and life in general to be honest.

And then came Pinterest

I don't know why it is but I love crochet bags and pinterest is full of them.  Gorgeous photos of pastel bags, tote bags and crochet flower bags all pinned by thoughtful pinners who seem to know exactly what it takes to motivate me.  I can  wait no longer.



My plan is to trawl the web sampling tutorials and blogging my progress.

I hope you'll join me on my journey!

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too. 

2 comments:

  1. Oooo I cant imagine that would be an easy process but the world wide web sure is a glorious thing these days. I'm sure you'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis