Thursday, 23 August 2012

Ribbon Rescue

Pin It
I generally consider myself to be quite an organised person, but only to the point that things get organised when they start to annoy me (what I'm trying to say is that I'm not in the same league as the Organised Housewife!)  A few years ago, tired of the incessant call of "I can't find any scissors" and "Does anyone know where a pencil sharpener is?" I instigated a draw where all of the homework requirements are kept.  In the beginning everything was beautifully organised in labelled boxes, but as time has gone on, I'm just satisfied that everything is kept in one draw and nine times out of ten stationery can easily be found when it's needed.

With that in mind, I have to tell you that I've now reached the point that my boxes of craft items are beginning to irritate me...gasp!  A case in point is my container of ribbons.


At one point, this little stash was neatly packed into colour coordinated bags and while not ideal, it was moderately successful in keeping everything tidy and easily found...obviously those days are long gone. 


We've recently moved some furniture around and I've managed to rearrange things so that we have a small bookcase that's spare, which I have seconded to become my new craft storage space.  After a few measurements and a trip to the local two dollar shop, I picked up a couple of plastic tubs that I thought would be ideal and emptied my ribbon stash so I could see exactly what was hiding in there.  Turns out there were brooch bases, hot fix crystals, the occasional fabric flower and more ribbon than I thought I had.

Now rolling ribbon and taping the end isn't the most inspiring task, but I'm more than happy with how things turned out.




I even started to sort through my ribbon that's already on rolls and by sticking some child size chopsticks through the side of the box and through the centre of the roll  (a cut down wooden skewer would also work well, just be careful of the edges), they now neatly have a home as well.





Even though the bookcase isn't yet in its proper home, I can see my new ribbon storage is going to work well for me.  I may even stack the boxes on top of each other, it all depends on how much room the rest of my crafty items take up.



Hope you’ll join me next time.



Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kat - I'm working my way through my sequins and trims at the moment.

      Delete

ShareThis