Monday, 24 September 2012

Three Seam Valance

Pin It
 Three Seam Valance

I've discovered there's a thing that teenage boys do that can be really annoying!  It creeps up on you and at first  seems quite trivial and is easily ignored, but eventually it's so glaringly obvious that it's impossible not to notice.  It's not until their trousers are just a touch too short to be socially acceptable and it feels like you're  forever buying new clothes that you begin to understand  the bad moods and attitude are  the least of your worries, it's the fact that they can barely fit under a doorway, that's causing all of the problems.   I am actually delighted that my sons continue to grow and that my eldest is currently standing at around six feet tall.  As someone who never quite made it to five foot three, I can see there are enormous benefits to having some height, but goodness it's been costing us a fortune.

It recently became apparent that our eldest had outgrown his single bed and the time had come to get him something a little more suitable to his length.  As both my sons have quite narrow bedrooms we decided that a double bed would be too wide, so we purchased a king bed that split in half to provide two king singles, thereby eliminating the need to purchase a new bed for our other son later on.  Of course the purchase of a new size bed involves the purchase of new size bedding and off we went for new quilts, quilt covers and sheets to fit, just leaving the valance to sort at a later date.   It was while I was clearing out  the old sheets and covers that I thought perhaps there was an easy way to make a valance, rather than spend more and it would certainly save having to throw at least some of the old sheets away (I'm quite sure no charity shop would be interested in our old bedding!)

Materials (to fit Australian size king single bed, or can be shortened to fit standard single)

One single bed flat sheet
Cotton
Measuring tape
Tailors pencil
Sewing machine.

Seam 1


Method

To ensure you have the correct size sheet for your bed, place the sheet over the bed base and it needs to touch the floor on all sides except the top of the bed.

Width

Measure bed base from floor on one side across the width of the bed to the floor on the other side.  In my case this measurement was 154cm (approx 60.6 inches)  My single bed sheet was wider than this  so I measured and cut to the correct width and then sewed a small seam on the edge of the sheet. (Seam 1)


Seam 2 (and repeat for seam 3)

Corners

To finish the corners, measure the distance from the top of the bed base to the floor.  In my case this was 33cm (approx 13 inches).  Measure and mark this distance from the corners that will be at the base of the bed and fold the corner exactly in half to form a triangle, ensuring that the marked measurements meet.  Sew a line from the mark, at 90 degrees, to the diagonal fold eg. the line of the tape measure in the lower picture.  Do this for both bottom ends of the valance. (Seam 2 and 3).

Place on bed base.

I loved that this project was so quick and that I managed to get a photo of at least one of my son's bedrooms while it was reasonably tidy (and even then I had to crop the photo a little!)

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great tutorial. You made it seem really easy. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words Debi. I love your blog and Link Party! Many thanks for the invite and follow - Deborah

      Delete

ShareThis