Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Crochet Snowflakes

Pin It
If you're new to this blog, you probably haven't had a chance to follow my  foray into the world of crochet.  My journey (which you can read about here) has been a joy and I'm always excited to embark on a new project.  Louise has mentioned earlier that I'm not a huge fan of the festive season, but that's generally due to the commercial pressure to purchase, making things for Christmas is well within my comfort zone!

Many years ago, my mother in law was decluttering and we ended up with what seems to be never ending roll of plain brown paper which we decorate and use to cover every gift we purchase.  So far it's been stamped, painted and drawn on, but not crocheted, until now...



Materials
White Crochet Cotton
Crochet Hook
Brown Paper and Sticky Tape
Raffia
Starch



Method

I used the instructions for crochet snowflakes from The Art of Crochet.  I'm still not fully conversant in the art of reading a crochet pattern, but the video tutorials are excellent and were easy to follow for a beginner like myself.



There are many ways to stiffen the snowflakes and while hairspray was very tempting, I opted for starch (hoping all the while that my out of date packet would still be up to the task) and simply added some starch to water and then ironed the snowflakes between a white tea towel until they were mostly dry.  I then left them to dry on paper towel for a day or so.

From there it is simply a case of wrapping, tying the raffia and adding our little snowflake embellishment, which then becomes a tree ornament for the recipient in years to come.

Maybe I could start to get into this Christmas thing after all...

Deb

More FitzBirch Crafty Christmas Ideas

Crafty the Snowman
Christmas Tea Cosy

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.

6 comments:

  1. These turned out so cute. I'd love for you to stop by and link it up to my weekly link party. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments and invite Jennifer Dawn. I've added the snowflakes to your link party and your button to our "Link" page - Deb

      Delete
  2. So cute!!! Love the idea! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Happy week !

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. This weeks party is live. I hope to see you there.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/fabric-covered-can-pen-and-pencil.html
    Debi, Joye and Myrna (The Busy Bee's)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi - We love joining in with your blog party every week.

      Delete

ShareThis