Monday, 19 November 2012

The problem with French Knitting...

Pin It I'm quite sure French Knitting has kept many generations of children busy for hours at a time.  I do remember that if any wooden cotton reels became free when I was a child, my father was pestered into hammering in four nails and my sisters and I would then proceed to make many lengths of knitted cord with whatever wool our Mum would part with.  I can't recall ever actually making anything with the cord though and to be honest even now the options seem quite limited as to what to do with the proceeds of all that work...and that is the problem.


This year my daughter rediscovered the joys of French Knitting and Louise, my sister and  co-blogger, came up with a fabulous idea for some Christmas decorations so we thought we'd give them a try.


Materials

French Knitter
Red and Green Wool
Buttons




Knit 25-30cm (approx 1 ft) of cord leaving a long length of yarn on both ends, one for sewing and one to make a loop.  Form the cord into five petal shapes and sew at the centre using the length of wool/yarn attached.  I sew one petal at a time.  Make loop for hanger. Add button embellishment.


As I was hanging these in the garden to photograph a bee came and landed on our little knitted flowers and I couldn't help but think how delightful it would be to have these hanging in the garden in the middle of Winter when everything is quite bare.  Minus the buttons and I can see our own little garden yarn bombing beginning to take shape...although, these ones will be hanging on our Christmas tree first!

Deb

More FitzBirch Crafty Christmas Ideas

Crafty the Snowman
Christmas Tea Cosy

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember French knitting as a child and I loved it. I don't know that I actually did anything with what I knitted, though. These would look great as embellishments on a bag. Hope you don't mind, but I'm pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to meet a fellow Aussie blogger...

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pam - I wonder how many metres of French Knitting has been thrown away over the years, it could probably circle the earth at least twice!

      Thanks for the pin too. I've headed over to your blog and can tell I've got many hours of reading ahead of me, there's some fantastic, inspiring projects.

      Delete

ShareThis