Friday, 7 December 2012

Felt Christmas Trees

Pin It


Using felt always reminds of art class at school. I'm not sure why, as I have no specific memory of making anything out of felt, unlike the macrame plant pot hanger, knitting or sewing, which I can recall in an instant. Perhaps it's the childlike comfort of the fabric that makes me recall my pre-teen years and maybe that's the reason I enjoyed this project so much.  It's an ideal project for children, but a lovely afternoon of crafting for adults too.

Materials

Felt 
Emboridery or crochet cotton
Sequins and seedbeads (for children I'd recommend glue, rather than sewing and using the seedbeads to hold the seqins in place)
Braid or Ribbon to hang


Method

Use double layer of felt in the colour of your choice, place Christmas tree template on fabric and cut around shape.

Rather than draw the tree shape by hand, I used a template I found on google images and printed it before cutting and pinning the tree to my felt. 

Once the tree shape is cut, sew using the embroidery or crochet cotton in the stitch of your choice.  I used a different stitch for each of my three trees, blanket stitch, running stitch and star stitch.  For younger children, I would recommend a basic running stitch.

Sew or glue sequins in place and add braid or ribbon loop for hanging.

These were originally going to be ornaments for our Christmas tree, but they have been seconded to act as gift tags for now.  Perhaps next year I might make a few more and string them together as a garland!

Happy Holidays

Deb

 More FitzBirch Crafty Christmas Ideas



Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.

16 comments:

  1. What fun ornaments! You've got a lovely blog...love the knitted Christmas baubles. Following along on GFC and like you on Facebook so I can keep up with your new creations. I'd love for you to stop by and visit sometime. Have a great weekend!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn - it's lovely to read your kind comments and to know that you have chosen to follow our blog.

      You've got some wonderful things happening at 4 you with love and I'm following along too - lots of inspiring ideas to keep the creative juices flowing!

      Delete
  2. Cute and adorable.I like them. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I love how the white stitching stands out. Thanks for joining the party at One Creative Weekend! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the party Heidi - We're always excited to see what great projects are being added.

      Delete
  4. thanks for linking to the Ornament Party!! There are so many wonderful things to make. I love the felties. Following you now also. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow Linda. We've got so many wonderful ideas for next year's Christmas decoration thanks to the party. Deb

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I love the red, it's different, I like different.

    I found you on the Clever Chicks blog hop and I'm now following you.

    Angie @ http://snackcupsandsmiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments and the follow Angie. I can see I've got many hours ahead reading through all of the great info and past posts on your blog! Deb

      Delete
  6. Just adorable!!!
    Have a wonderful day and Merry Christmas!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana - Hope you have a wonderful Christmas - Deb

      Delete
  7. I love the look to these! They have a handmade Scandinavian fell to them. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anu-Lu, I love the Scandinavian reference and it's inspired me to make them in more neutral tones next year. Merry Christmas and thanks for the pin - Deb

      Delete

ShareThis