Friday, 25 January 2013

Button Cowl

Pin It
The button detail transforms an otherwise plain cowl
I have become a little crazy about cowls.  I love the simplicity of them and so, most of my work colleagues have received one  for Christmas.  It does seem a bit odd to be giving a winter item in the middle of an Australian summer but I am sure they will appreciate it around June.

I have knitted a few accordion cowls.  It's a very simple pattern.

Pattern

Cast on 120 stitches.  Join in the round being careful not to twist the stitches.
Knit 5 rows plain, then 5 rows purl.
Continue until the cowl is the desired size and cast off
Couldn't be easier .... 

I used some wonderfully thick yarn (10 ply) from my stash (2 x 50g balls) and size 5.50mm circular needles and decided to use a few buttons to create quite a contemporary look.

I had a lot of fun with the buttons.  I had originally decided on 3 large wooden buttons, but, in the spirit of Christmas, decided to go overboard and in the end, I used 9.
A total of 9 wooden buttons

I even experimented with sewing them on.  I used the yarn as a long stitch between the buttons so it could be seen.

Roll on winter ..

More Cowls From FitzBirch


Happy Knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.

Come and join Knitting Paradise - a forum for knitting and crochet.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn .. For this cowl I used a 5mm circular as the yarn is quite thick and it holds together really well. Louise

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this! I really need to learn how to knit...... :) Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy .. This is a fabulous project for a beginner as it is only rows of Knit and Purl stitches. Good luck with learning to knit. Louise

      Delete
  3. It looks so warm and cozy.... FAB!
    great neutral color too....

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystelle .. I'm a HUGE fan of neutrals as you get more wear out of it. Thanks for stopping by. .. Louise

      Delete
  4. I love this! You did a great job. Your newest follower from Submarine Sunday. :)

    Kathy @ lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, We love that it's super easy to make as well. Lifeonlakeshoredrive is a great blog and we've started following. .. Louise

      Delete
  5. This is so cute, and I LOVE the buttons! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Submarine Sunday Tonna .. It's a great way to showcase crafty ideas. Looking forward to the next one. Louise

      Delete
  6. This pattern is very popular in Denmark, especially for hats. And in fact, - some call the hats for the Mary hat, because the beautiful Crownprinsess Mary wears it :-) I'm sure you know her ;-)
    I've never seen it as a cowl, but this I must try :-)
    Love from Denmark, Lene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely!! Can it be done with straight needles too?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely!! Can it be done with straight needles too?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis