Friday, 18 January 2013

Button Rose Tea Cosy

Pin It
I have discovered a magnificent Zauberball  colourway that, when crocheted, creates a lovely mix of colours.  It's called 'Floral Garden' and it is a wonderfully apt name.

Button Rose Tea Cosy
I crocheted some roses for my knitted doorstop but couldn't stop at just one project and I was hunting around for something else that I could use them on.  Then one of my work colleagues mentioned that she would love a tea cosy.  I knew the roses would be perfect for this.

We have already made a tea cosy using roses in our Sibling Ravelry post but the finished cosy was in Melbourne and I am in Perth.  It was of no matter though as I was keen to make another.

I used our original pattern for the tea cosy using Bendigo Woollen Mills 12 ply in Almond.  As this wool is very thick, it was larger than our previous cosy and fits a 6 cup tea pot.


BASIC KNITTED PATTERN TEMPLATE

Floral Cosy - medium sized tea pot
Cast on 84 stitches and knit 4 rows in K1, P1 rib.
5th row - K40, cast off next 4 stitches and K to end
6th row - P40, turn
Continue for 38 more rows.

Join wool to remaining 40 stitches and K40 rows in stocking stitch.
Change to DPN needles (20 stitches per needle)
1st row - K to end (join up)
2nd row - decrease (K2tog) at each end of each needle.
Continue row 1 & 2 until 2 stitches remain on each needle.
Thread a yarn needle with the yarn and pull through the remaining stitches   Pull firmly and secure with a stitch or two to hold in place.
Sew the bottom ribbing together and you are all done.

Once the cosy is finished, the fun begins.
The link to crocheted roses is here .. Crochet Roses by Skip to My Lou

Tea Anyone?
I attached the roses to the cosy using buttons.  Firstly, I sew the buttons to the roses to keep them in shape and then, using the same piece of thread, attach them to the cosy.  The addition of the buttons is very sweet - almost a shabby chic effect.

In the end, it's a quintessential Tea Cosy, that is just perfect for gift giving.

PS.. you'll never guess what arrived in today's post.  The original tea cosy!! Deb sent it over for me to have, which makes giving mine away a bit sweeter as I have one to keep. Tea anyone?!


Happy Knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Diana, we appreciate your kind comments - Deb

      Delete
  2. It is a lovely tea cosy ! Love the shaded color of the roses, gives a natural look:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Preeti, we love how this turned out.

      Delete
  3. This is just so lovely. I love tea cosy's. I must have a go at this.
    I am visiting from Shabby Art Boutique and am also in Australia.
    I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jeanetteann. I've just been visiting Heirloom Treasures and it's simply beautiful. I'm following and can't wait to see more of your posts - Deb

      Delete
  4. What an absolutely wonderful work!LOVE IT!Thanks for sharing!
    Have a fabulous day!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Tonna - We'll be sure to drop by for the link party! Deb

      Delete
    2. Just wanted to let you know that my blog address has changed. Long story… I’ve moved everything over to http://www.usscrafty.blogspot.com. I hope you’ll follow me there!

      T’onna @ Navy Wifey Peters Aboard the USS Crafty

      Delete
    3. Thanks for letting us know about your new blog address Tonna, I've added it to my follow list -Deb

      Delete
  6. So lovely,good creation,congrats!!:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words - Deb

      Delete
  7. This is absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing at One Creative Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya and thanks for hosting One Creative Weekend!

      Delete
  8. I really love this project but I'm a little stuck -- when you switch to DPN it says there should be ten stitches per needle. Did I miss a step? I come up with 20 per needle.

    One other thing, how many roses do I need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes .. you are right. My typo. Should be 20 per needle and keep reducing until you have 2 per needle. I shall amend that straight away. I also crocheted 15 roses but that number is up to you. My apologies. .. Louise

      Delete
  9. Greetings Ladies, from the South Coast of England in the Historical Hastings!

    This tea-cosy is sublime! However, what in the name of sea-shells have you done to me? After seeing this tea-cosy I found myself having 'just a quick look' at what else you had - after promising myself that I would cut right back on looking at knitting sites and blogs I fear I have broken that promise to myself already as I will have t sign up to your delightful one!! Ah well.

    I have your tutorial 'Sock Knitting Basics' printing off as I type! How clear you have made the sock knitting procedure! You say that the language of socks is not complex ... Oh yes it most certainly is - until that is some dear, kind soul writes a clear ' Sock Knitting Basics' Thank You, Thank You!! I have had the notion to knit socks for some time now, but when I have looked at a pattern I admit to being put off by the 'foreign' language such as ... 'turn the heel' do what?!! So, what a gift your tutorial is, you have demystified the language of socks, when you don't understand, well it might as well be in Russian! Not any more though, that is a thing of the past.

    I do wonder what size needles should be used to knit the tea-cosy and naturally, I don't have the 3mm DPNS for the socks!! And that is very frustrating!

    Again< thank you for your great work! All the Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you in Hastings.
      Thank you for your kind words - I always like to spread the word about sock knitting.
      The tea cosy was knitted using size 5.00mm needles and 12 ply wool - which makes it very thick. Just the ticket for keeping the tea warm whilst knitting socks. Louise

      Delete
  10. Hello there Louise in Melbourne - my best friend from school lives in a suburb of Melbourne! Greetings from a very wet and very windy Hastings!!

    Thank you so much for the reply - and the kind words were most deserved. :-) - I noticed when I was reading your blog yesterday how you reply to the comments left, its a very nice touch.
    Thank you for the additional info about the tea-cosy. Hmmm it seems to me that this ply business is very tricky indeed! This is not a new revelation and has been something that I have meant to find out about before - especially as we knitters have such international access now! So, your reply prompted me to actually resolve this conundrum and I thought you might be interested in this, the opening text made me smile: http://www.knitting.stuff.freeuk.com/ConversionTables2.html

    I loved what you wrote about the thick tea-cosy keeping the tea warm while knitting socks - I intend to do both! I want a pattern for big comfy house socks to offer people when they visit and remove their shoes and so keep their little tootsies warm. Many a problem is solved over a bit if knitting and a pot of tea, don't you think so?! I meant to say when I was writing about your Sock Knitting Basics tutorial yesterday, I knew I would like it when I saw listed in the 'Lets get started' the third thing on the list after the wool and needles was a cup of tea ( or coffee).

    I love how you love your tea! Right, having said that I am now off to putt the kettle on and make tea - would you like a cup? ;-)
    Saoirsé

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love a cup!! Nothing like an English cup of tea is there :-) I like the idea of comfy house socks .. although I have arrived back in Perth after my travels to Melbourne and it is STINKING HOT!! .. Not the weather here for house socks at the moment. I had a look at the freeuk website. It's very good! Deb and I were brought up with the English (UK) terms (Our family is English - in fact I was born there) but we try to use US English as well. It can be a bit confusing, especially when it comes to needle size. And do you call it yarn or wool? We call it wool but I try and interchange it with yarn so everyone knows what we are referring to. Either way, the end result is the same - hours of enjoyment.

      Delete

ShareThis