Monday, 21 January 2013

Cabled IPad Cover

Pin It
This year, for the first time in 18 years, I will not be doing any school runs, or attending Parent/Teacher meetings, or awards nights or school music perfomances.  I won't be organising school uniforms or buying school supplies and I'm in 2 minds about it.  Part of me won't miss the running around but part of me is not ready to let go of a routine that has been a fundamental part of our lives for nearly 2 decades.  I am sure that will pass quite quickly and I am excited to see the paths that my children take.

My daughter is well on her way to independence.  She has already had a stint of living out of home and is now mastering the Uni/work life balance.  My son is just about to start Uni and is eager to get going. This year, he is in charge of organising books, supplies etc and is going to use an IPad in class.  Everything is organised - except a cover.  Always keen to keep my needles going, I suggested a knitted one.  He agreed but there are, however, specific instructions that go with the cover.
  • No buttons or fastenings so it can't get caught on anything.
  • Not too loose 
  • Not too tight.
  • Masculine (obviously .. )
In the end I chose a 4ply, self striping sock yarn.  Even though the yarn is fairly lightweight, the pattern is filled with cables which give the IPad protection.

 Pattern

If you look in the middle of your knitting,
the cast on stitches blend seamlessly 
Using a small 4mm circular needle cast on 130 stitches (65 stitches on each needle) using 'Judy's Magic Cast on'.  I urge you to give this method a go.  Firstly, it is not as difficult as it seems and the end result is, well, quite magical. Totally seamless.  Secondly, it eliminates the need for ANY sewing up at the end of the project and anyone who knows me will know how I will go to any lengths to avoid sewing up.  If, like me, you have never tried this method of casting on, you will be amazed!
Follow Judy's instructions to the letter up to Step 10 (up to the part where she says 'We now return you to your regularly scheduled pattern') and it all comes together. 

Once you have cast on your stitches, Knit 3 rows in stockinette stitch.  Place a stitch marker to indicate the beginning of your row.

Row 4.      P3, K7 to end.  This is the set up row for the cables.
Row 5.      P3, C7B.  (Slip 3 needles onto cable needle and hold at the back of your work.  K4 from left hand needle then K3 from cable)
Row 6 - 9 As row 4.

Continue Rows 4 - 9 for the required length.  In my case, this ended up being 15 repeats of the cable.  

Next row. K2, P2 to end.
Repeat for 8 rows. Bind off.

As there was not going to be any buttons or fastenings when it was finished, I had to make sure that the cover well and truly covered the end of the IPad.  I also threaded some sewing elastic around the top edge to 'pull' the ends together.



As you are knitting the cover, you might think that it looks a little small.  Believe me, it stretches.

Now that I have mastered the magic cast on it opens up all sorts of possibilities - I'm thinking a cabled handbag might be in  order.

Cabled IPad Cover
Happy Knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.




8 comments:

  1. Hi Louise, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from the Clever Chick’s Blog Hop.

    What a great idea! I'm don't know how to knit, but I wonder if I could do something similar with crochet? It would make a nice gift. Congrats on your kids being grown and independent -- you made it! I still have a few more years to go, though at least mine are all teens now, so I'm getting closer.

    Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you’ve never visited yet, I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, Thanks for stopping by. I visited your funny farm (and passed the 'Living The Dream Life' quiz) and just had to follow your blog. It's great. 6 Teenagers??!! I admire your courage. Hope you can find the time for crafting :-) .. Louise

      Delete
  2. Great iPad cover Louise!! Definitely masculine - and he'll think of you every time he uses it!!
    Must be hard to make that adjustment when your kids leave school. I still have a way to go - mine are both still in Primary!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I hope you enjoy the remainder of the holidays with your girls. Thanks for hosting such a great link party. Cheers, Louise

      Delete
  3. Love your work. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. We look forward to the next one. Louise

      Delete
  4. Great project! I'm not quite out of the running stage just yet...two are in college but one is still in high school (a sophomore).... I'll be in your shoes soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Without all the school running around, there's more time to craft :-). Kind regards, Louise

      Delete

ShareThis