Friday, 22 February 2013

Camping Fingerless Mittens

Pin It
Sunset on a Summer Evening
I have just returned from a camping trip to the beach and the bush.  All was going well at the beach.  The days were long and warm, the water was icy cold which was perfect for cooling down but things went a bit awry at the bush.  There was nowhere to visit as the park was miles from anywhere, the ants invaded with a ruthless ferocity and Peter, my partner, became quite ill and had to spend 2 days in bed.  




Wonderfully bright fingerless mittens.
Perfect for a winter holiday in the caravan.
During this time, I spent many hours knitting but I didn't have any patterns.  
I had relied on an internet connection to get patterns but I was a bit stuck in the middle of the bush.  Don't believe caravan park owners when they say the connection drops in and out.  It did not connect the whole time we were there.  

I had some sock wool to knit up a pair of socks, but I didn't really feel like making a pair.  (At this point, I thought that whatever Peter had  must be contagious - I have never not felt like knitting socks.  I am addicted to knitting them and have even come up with a booklet to help others).  Perhaps it was the ants or the heat but either way, could not commit myself to a pair.

So I played around with a pattern of sorts for some fingerless mittens instead. 


Pattern

Using your choice of sock wool, and 2.75 DPN's cast on 54 stitches onto 3 needles (18 per needle) and start knitting.  This is for a small size.  For medium cast on 62 stitches and for a large size, cast on 70 stitches.  I did not use a ribbing pattern, just launched straight into stockinette.

When your work measures the required distance, in this case 8cm, place 15 (17, 19) stitches onto one needle for the thumb.  Having never knitted mittens before, I could see straight away, that the inside of the thumb was a prime spot for 'stretched' stitches.  I threaded a completely different yarn onto a yarn needle and threaded this through the thumb stitches and pulled it quite firmly to close the opening.   This method worked beautifully for me.  There are only so many DPN's that you want to grapple with at any one time and threading the thumb stitches kept them secure without stretching them and also kept them out of the way.  

I then continued knitting the remaining 35 stitches for a further 8cm's.  In order to make the bind off a little looser, wrap the yarn over the needle and then knit the stitch.  This created just enough of a loose stitch to give the mitten/glove a bit of give without altering the look of the bind off.

Once this has been done, pick up the stitches that have been threaded for the thumb, and gently pull out the thread.  

It was too hot to put both mitts on.
I'm going to love these in winter!
Pick up 4 stitches along the inside of the thumb (a total of 19 (21, 23) stitches and distribute amongst 3 needles) .  When you pick up the extra 4 stitches, knit into the back of the stitch to create a firm stitch that will not stretch.  Knit for a further 4cm and, using the same cast off method, cast off.

Knit up another one and you are ready to go.  


Condensed pattern

Using DPN's Cast on 54 (62, 70) stitches and join in the round.
Knit for 8cm (9cm, 10cm)
Place 15 (17, 19) onto a separate needle or, using a separate yarn sew through the stitches and pull firmly.
Continue knitting for a further 8cm (9cm, 10cm)
Cast off loosely.
Pick up remaining 15 (17, 19) stitches making sure to 'pick up' an extra 4 stitches along the inside of the thumb.
Knit for a further 4cm (5cm, 6cm) and cast off loosely.

I admit, it does seem a bit incongruous to be knitting mittens in the middle of an Australian summer.  We also go camping in winter and I will get a lot of use out of them then.

(Peter is recovered now and we are planning a return to the beach in April)

Happy Knitting
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.


23 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I love all the colors you used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Misiabe. I love the colour as well, It's so vibrant!.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic mittens!! I've been wanting to make some like this for ages but being a beginner that all sounds like a foreign language!! I'll save this for when I know what I'm doing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic mittens!! I've been wanting to make some like this for ages but being a beginner that all sounds like a foreign language!! I'll save this for when I know what I'm doing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma. They really are very easy. You just have to know how to knit with Double Pointed Needles (DPN's) - that's it. Good luck with your mittens.

      Delete
  4. Lovely colours---what yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie .. I used a self-striping ball of sock wall that I bought off ebay. - Rellana 'Flotte Socke' from Germany.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the pattern!! The mittens are really l♥vely, great color combination as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. :-) I really like the vibrancy of these mittens.

      Delete
  6. Just saw your cute gloves linked over at Life On Lakeshore Drives link party and thought I'd come over and check them out :)

    Would love for you to link up at my weekend link party going on right now too @The Weekend re-Treat!

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty, and I love the colors! Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! Have a wonderful week. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy and thanks for hosting A Bouquet of Talent. There are some really talented people out there .. :-)

      Delete
  8. these are very pretty mittens :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's smart to be knitting now instead of waiting or our hands to be cold. I might try these hopefully before Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy. If you started now they would easily be finished by Easter. :-)

      Delete
  10. Cute! I think fingerless mittens are so cool! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    T'onna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T'onna. Thanks for another great Submarine Sunday.

      Delete
  11. Popped over from 'A Round Tuit', love the gloves and that wool is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie. I'm such a fan of sock wool. The colours can be fantastic. :-)

      Delete
  12. Love these! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre! I can't wait to see what you share next time at...
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Thanks also for hosting the Creative Homeacre Hop. Your blog is very inspiring as I dream of a move to the country so I just had to follow. :-)

      Delete
  13. These are adorable! I am so jealous that you went camping. We are supposed to go in 2 weeks, but we still have snow on the ground here. I am hoping we don't have to drive too far south to find warmer temps!! Thanks for linking up to my Pin Me Party!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis