Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Chevron Crochet Hook Case

Pin It
Sometimes I find the way a project unfolds can be dictated by the materials used or the time available, but in this instance it was lack of materials that had me on the edge of my seat throughout.  I had decided that my ever growing collection of crochet hooks really need some more permanent accommodation than their original packaging and so sorted through my wool stash for suitable colours to make my hook case.  I had already decided on chevron and just happened to have a few part balls of yarn that I thought would be ideal, the only problem was that there really wasn't a huge amount left on any of the balls, and so from the outset I did wonder if there was going to be enough to finish, adding just a teensy bit of  fear anticipation to the whole endeavour.

I used 3 different colours in 8ply yarn and a size 4 crochet hook.

Chain 36
Row 1   Miss 2 chains and work 2 double crochets (DC) into the next chain.
*Work a DC into each of the next four chains
Miss 2 Chains and DC into the next chain.  DC into the next 3 chains.  Work 3 DC into the next chain.  Repeat from * across the row ending with 2 DC into last chain. Work 2 turning chains

Row 2 Change colour, Work 2 DC into the last double crochet of the previous row.
*Work a DC into the next 4 doubles of the previous row.
Miss 2 doubles of the previous row and then work a DC into each of the next 4 doubles of the previous row.
Work 3DC into the next double of the previous row.
Repeat from * ending the row with 2DC into the last stitch of the previous row.

Subsequent rows Change colour and work as per row 2.

Repeat until there are 7 rows in total.  End of Chevron.

Row 8
Using main colour, *Single Crochet (SC) into first 3 stitches of previous row, then in the subsequent stitches of the previous row, work 1 x Half Double (HDC), 1 x  DC, 2 x  Triple Crochet (TC), 1 x  DC, 1 x  HD and 3 x  SC.  Repeat from * to the end of the row.  This will produce a straight edge at the end of the chevron.

Rows 9 and 10
DC across entire row.

Row 11
This row forms the edge of the fold.
SC across the entire edge of previous row

Row 12 and 13
SC into the back loop only of each single crochet of the previous row.


Row 14-27
DC across entire row

Row 28 (at this point I was seriously worried about running out of wool, but in reality I think I would have preferred perhaps another 2-3 rows of DC, so feel free to add more rows prior to row 28)

This row forms the edge of the fold.  SC across entire edge of previous row

Row 29 and 30
SC into the front loop only of each SC of the previous row

Rows 31 and 32 (at this point I was really struggling as my ball of wool was now just down to a string of wool, so adding a couple more rows here would be fine if you have ample yarn and added a couple of extra rows from row 28)

DC into each stitch of previous row.

To finish

SC around the edge of the project, not including the Chevron edge.  Block for an even finish and SC on the inside of the case to form the hook holders.  It was my original intention to have a button closure on the front, however my lack of remaining yarn left me with no room to place one.  Instead I've used press studs which work really well to keep my beloved hooks enclosed.

Happy crocheting


Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too


Disclaimer: We are all part of one big crafting community so please do not sell our patterns or claim them as your own. You are free to do what you wish with finished items but if you sell them online, please link back to us for pattern credit. Please use your own images if advertising an item for sale from our patterns.  We are not expert pattern designers and believe knitting and crochet is a wonderful art form.  Therefore, many of the ways we create things may not be according to established methods.



2 comments:

  1. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog! I look forward to reading more.

    You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Melanie - lovely to have you visit and I'm seriously tempted to try some of the recipes on your blog. Yum! - Deb

      Delete

ShareThis