Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Egg Cosy Sampler

Pin It
Now that I've done a couple of embroidery projects (you can find them here), I figure I really should come to terms with some of the more basic stitches that I probably should have learnt first, but in my impatience skipped right over.  As Easter is fast approaching I thought a quick and easy cosy with basic stitches for decoration would be perfect practice.
Materials
Craft Store Felt
Embroidery Floss
Ribbon or Trim 
Needles
Scissors
Tailors Chalk
Sewing Machine (optional)



As my freehand drawing skills are not what I'd like them to be and to get an idea of size, I searched google images for an egg cosy template and found this gorgeous frog, and just used the body section for my outline. Although I have to say, if my boys were younger those frog cosies would have been very popular indeed! I traced two outlines, one for the back and the other for the front and got sewing. 

From top to bottom, the stitches I used are:
Scroll Stitch
Ermine Filling Stitch
Blanket Stitch (Two Rows)
Detached Chain - Flowers
Running Stitch - Whipped or laced

If you're looking for stitch guides, I've found that Sarah's Hand Embroidery Tutorials are wonderful.

I did both the front and back of the cosy, so that others sitting at the table aren't looking at a blank cosy from their position.

To finish I cut a small piece of trim and positioned it at the top of the cosy and then sewed the hem using my machine, but to be honest this could easily have been done by hand.



Mmmmmmm  boiled egg and soldiers!

I think I might try a "proper" sampler for my next project.  If I'm quiet for a while it's probably because I'm knee deep in sampler designs and can't decide which one to do.

Happy Stitching

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.


4 comments:

  1. I would LOVE it if you shared this in my Spring/Easter Linky Party! You can find it here: http://littlemomprairie.blogspot.com/p/blog-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invitation J.Rae, can't wait to see what other projects get linked up!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really looking forward to this weeks link up.

      Delete

ShareThis