Friday, 1 February 2013

Embroidery Rose Heart

Pin It
I'm sure there is an order in which one should learn embroidery stitches, perhaps starting with a basic running stitch and building up a repertoire?  The only problem is that my embroidery book  (The A-Z of Embroidery Stitches by Country Bumpkin Publications) provides stitch instructions in alphabetical order and offers no insight into the learning process, which left me at a bit of a loss as far as what to do for my first few projects (as you can see I'm frightfully ambitious - no "I'll just attempt a few lines of each stitch first" for me!)

It just so happens that I glanced upon the instructions for "Cast-on Stitch Roses" (there's a great tutorial with pictures here) and thought as a knitter, casting on is something that comes quite naturally and that for a beginner project, doing something within my comfort zone was probably a great idea.

To start I used a heart template downloaded from the web and traced it onto my fabric using tailors chalk. My thread colours  are:

Anchor 869 Amethyst(DMC 168 Silver Gray)
Anchor 870 Amethyst (DMC 3042 Antique Violet)

Anchor 871 Amethyst (DMC 3041 Antique Violet)

Anchor 213 Juniper (DMC 3024 Brown Gray)
Anchor 214 Juniper (DMC 966 Baby Green )

I started with the largest rose with the centre in the darkest shade, progressing to lighter shades with each layer of petals.  I loved the cast on stitch and as I had envisaged, my years of knitting really did come in handy!  My centre petal had a cast-on of 12, stitches, the 5 petals of the next layer had  cast-ons of 16, while the outer petals had cast-ons of 19.



The outline of the heart is embroidered using "Scroll Stitch" in the darkest shade of green. I found a really wonderful and easy to follow tutorial here.  While I used a three layered rose for the top centre of the heart, I varied the colour combinations and sizes as I worked my way around the piece.



One of my favourite aspects of "Cast-on Stitch" is its almost 3D effect. It's really raised from the fabric and makes the work look very substantial, even though in essence this was a quick project that I finished in just a few hours (I'm sure hoping I'll get quicker as time goes on.)






I was really quite pleased with how this turned out.  I'd like to get the cast-ons a bit neater next time and spend a little more time planning the placement of the roses, but I'm looking forward to using this stitch again...so I think we can take that as a good sign that embroidery and I are becoming firm friends!

Happy stitching

Deb




Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.




12 comments:

  1. This looks like it takes some skill. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elise - love what you've got happening at Grow Creative and am now a new follower. Deb

      Delete
  2. It looks like it's cast on as it is in knitting... is that right? Never knew you could do that! The results are so lush and full that it creates a perfect rose! Oops... I read more carefully and I was right. I love how skills learned in one craft can be transformed to another. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Kadee. I was so delighted to be able to do this stitch quite easily and to be honest it's been hard to put my mind to other stitches as I love this one so much! Deb

      Delete
  3. So pretty! I'm do cross stitch from time to time, not sure if I could do this or not. This would look great in a frame.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank JoAnn. One of my next projects is going to be cross stitch and I can't wait to get started!

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Tonna - I look forward to your next blog party!

      Delete
  5. This is so gorgeous!! You did a fabulous job. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! So glad to have you share. Have a wonderful week. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment Kathy. Had a great time looking through all of the wonderful links at Bouquet of Talent.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure Kerryanne - thanks for hosting!

      Delete

ShareThis