Wednesday, 13 February 2013

The Festival of Birthdays

Pin It
While most families spend January and February recovering from the highs and lows of the festive season, our household goes into birthday mode with two of my children and a niece all choosing to have their birthdays over a period of approximately two and a half weeks.

It all starts with my middle child who turned fifteen this year - where does the time go? He's not one for crafts and party food, in fact he celebrated with a bunch of friends sleeping over, piles of pizzas and a kilo of Jelly Bellies (our dentist is going to be delighted!) 

Then it's my niece's turn who celebrated her fourth birthday with an afternoon tea and despite telling my sister that I wouldn't go overboard this year, I couldn't resist the temptation to put together a few party platters.  The little teddy cars were an absolute hit and you can find the instructions here, we loved the cake pop skewers too- an easy peasy platter of cake pops cut in half with marshmallow and strawberry sandwiched in-between - and jelly orange segments to complete our dessert table.

To round out the birthday festival, my eldest turned 17.  I'm starting to wonder how I could possibly be the parent of a 17 year old - wasn't I just pushing him on a swing recently and getting him ready for his first day of school?  His birthday party was a mexican feast for friends and as he has a higher tolerance for craft than his brother I did a little embroidery as a gift tag for his present.

This was a simple case of choosing a font in word, resizing it so it was large, tracing it onto fabric and then outlining in back stitch.  Once this was complete I then used seed stitch around the entire name.  As a newbie embroiderer, I was a little frustrated that my letters weren't outlined as crisply as I would have liked, but that's OK as I'll get a bit more practice when the next birthday comes along in April!



Happy crafting


Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun post! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words and invite Mariel. You host a great party and it's a pleasure to take part. Deb

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your post (I love the bear army!). Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. Looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis