Monday, 4 March 2013

Gnome on the Range Egg Cosy

Pin It
Gnome .. or Mr Nice Guy
Who doesn't mind a bit of whimsy first thing in the morning?  This little egg cosy will have you smiling as you tuck into your breakfast.


Pattern

Using a set of DPN's to suit your choice of wool (I used Paton's Caressa for no other reason than it was in my stash) cast on 42 stitches - 14 on each of 3 needles.  Join, being careful not to twist your stitches and place a stitch marker to indicate the beginning of the row.

Knit until work measures 3cm.
Next row.  Knit 6, K2tog to end of row.
Knit 4 rows
Then, Knit 5, K2tog to end of row
Knit 4 rows
Then, Knit 4, k2tog to end of row
knit 4 rows
Then Knit 3, K2tog to end of row
Knit 4 rows
Then Knit 2, K2tog to end of row
Knit 4 rows
Then Knit 1, K2tog to end of row
Knit 4 rows
K2tog to end of row and then, using a yarn needles, thread the tail of your knitting through the stitches and pull firmly.

Beard

The beard was an interesting experiment.  I didn't have any 'fluffy' wool that seemed suitable for a beard so I used cushion filler.  

Cast on 21 stitches whilst at the same time holding a small amount of filler.  I gently eased out the filler so it wasn't too bulky and made sure that as I was knitting, that the filler was being incorporated into the stitches.  A bit of mixed media if you will.

Row 1:  Knit
Row 2:  K2tog, knit to final 2 stitches, K2tog

Repeat rows 1 & 2 until 3 stitches remain.
Slip 2 stitches purlwise, K1, PSSO.

Attach the beard to the underside of the little hat ensuring that the beard has about 1cm of attachment at each side leaving a little gap for the glasses.  The glasses give this little man a shot of personality - hard to find first thing in the morning!

Weave in any ends and you are ready to put the kettle on and boil some eggs.  


More Easter Crafts


Happy Knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.


Disclaimer: We are all part of one big crafting community so please do not sell our patterns or claim them as your own. You are free to do what you wish with finished items but if you sell them online, please link back to us for pattern credit. Please use your own images if advertising an item for sale from our patterns.  We are not expert pattern designers and believe knitting and crochet is a wonderful art form.  Therefore, many of the ways we create things may not be according to established methods.

7 comments:

  1. Very funny........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a lover of all things Gnome! I have them peeping out of my garden everywhere. There are even a few in by house! This is so cute and I will have to give it a shot.

    I would love it if you would link this project and any other to my In and Out of the Kitchen Link party. It is live right now and will last until Wednesday evening. It is a new party and I would love to see you there!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    I am now following your blog and Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia for your kind words and invite to the link party. I've added our egg cosy today and am really looking forward to joining you every week with our new projects - Deb

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up with us at "In and Out of the Kitchen" this is an adorable little guy!! IF I could knit, I'd make them just to sit around. So sweet
    Pinned
    Dawn
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally going to have my daughter try this. She has been after me to knit something with her. This seems like the perfect choice. Not too much, but enough to actually make something :) We are starting a link up party on Thursdays (today:), and we would love for you to join us with this post and/or any others you would like to include. We are at allthingswithpurpose.com. Hope to see you there!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis