Friday, 8 March 2013

Quick Loom Knit Scarf

Pin It
Sometimes it can be difficult to name a project.  When I sat down to make this scarf I was hovering between "Bargain Hunter Scarf" or "Quick Loom Scarf", but in the end the fact this was done in only a few hours made me lean more towards "Quick" rather than my other option.  The first  rejected title came about due to a wonderful shopping trip to Spotlight where I picked up the wool in the specials bin.  I can't tell you how thrilled I was to purchase a whole bag of "Bella Baby" wool (I've used 4 ply "Sparkle" in 60% acrylic and 40% wool for this project) on sale at $2.00 a ball and then  a discount voucher added to the mix making them half that price.  I was in craft heaven!  



My intention was to make a scarf that wasn't necessarily for warmth, but more a little something to add style to a mid-season wardrobe.

The pattern is very simple and this is a great beginner project:

Cast on 
Use e-wrap stitch (there's a great e-wrap video tutorial here), but rather than e-wrap every peg, e-wrap four pegs, run wool across the back of the next peg, e-wrap three, run wool across the back of the next peg, e-wrap three, run wool across the back of the next peg then e-wrap four.  This uses 17 pegs along one side of the 38 peg loom.

Pattern
As per cast on, e-wrap four, run wool across the back of the peg, e-wrap three, run wool across the back of the next peg, e-wrap three, run wool across the back of the next peg, e-wrap four.  Continue until scarf is desired length.  Cast off.

Tassels

For the tassel ends of the scarf, I cut five equal lengths of wool, folded them in half and formed a loop before threading them through the edge of the scarf (a couple of stitches from the base for extra strength), I then pulled the ends of the wool pieces through the loop and pulled gently to form the tassels.  Complete for both edges.  This project used just under one and a half 50g balls of wool.





My daughter loves how this loose knit scarf turned out and quickly squirreled it away to her room- I haven't had the heart to tell her I was actually making it for me!

Happy looming

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.





Other FitzBirch loom knit projects:
Knifty Loom Knit Leg Warmers
Loom Knit Gauntlets
Loom Knit Market Bag
Loom Knit Remote Control Holder
Loom Knit Socks
Charity Knitting


Disclaimer: We are all part of one big crafting community so please do not sell our patterns or claim them as your own. You are free to do what you wish with finished items but if you sell them online, please link back to us for pattern credit. Please use your own images if advertising an item for sale from our patterns.  We are not expert pattern designers and believe knitting and crochet is a wonderful art form.  Therefore, many of the ways we create things may not be according to established methods.


16 comments:

  1. Is wonderful your work and your blog, congratulations and kisses.

    http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maria- you have some wonderful things happening too!

      Delete
  2. Who doesn't love a quick project that gives instant gratification. I haven't tried loom knitting yet just the ol' 2 needle way, i'll have to check it out. I have a few of my past projects on my blog if you want to check them out!

    http://homemakeraudition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming to visit. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your up and coming projects as the ones on your blog are fabulous - Deb

      Delete
  3. Great scarf!
    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured your Gnome on the range egg cosy on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 144
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature Jill, we were very excited to see our Egg Cosy on your blog post. Thanks so much for hosting, it's wonderful to see all the great ideas bloggers come up with every week.

      Hope your daughter has a great time on camp.

      Deb

      Delete
  4. Lovely scarf! Great work! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ana - lovely to have you visit!

      Delete
  5. Cute scarf! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    Navy Wifey Peters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonna - we love Submarine Sunday! Deb

      Delete
  6. Your scarf is beautiful! I love that soft color. My daughter does the same thing. Our secretary was selling scarves this week at school, and I bought one. My daughter was wearing it the next day!! LOL She would love this one, too! You did a great job.

    Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. I always love seeing your beautiful work. Have a wonderful weekend. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy, I'm glad to hear that scarf sharing doesn't just happen in our household!

      We're really looking forward to the next Bouquet of Talent - Deb

      Delete
  7. Hello. I am new to loom knitting and was wondering how to cast off on this project? Also, I am using this pattern to make an infinity scarf, if that makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia

      Thanks for your message. If you do a search in google for "cast off loom knit infinity scarf" there are a few youtube videos which hopefully will guide you through the process. I've yet to make an infinity scarf on the loom, but it's definitely something I'm thinking of trying. Deb

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful!! what cast off method do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy - the cast off I usually use is the one demonstrated by Fayme Harper in her you tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpERQSnzk28

      Delete

ShareThis