Friday, 1 March 2013

Summer Rose Capelet

Pin It
I have a love of crocheted roses (our previous posts about Knitted Door Stops and a Button Rose Tea Cosy are testimony to that) so I thought I would give knitted roses a try.  

My parents recently skipped across the country to visit my sister Deb and deliver her long awaited, hand made knitting loom (you can read about it here), and they brought me back some beautiful 8ply bamboo/wool blend.

The minute I saw this gorgeous bamboo, I knew what I would make.  A summer capelet that sits comfortably on your shoulders that stops the chill in the evenings.

Not that we have had much chill.  We have been experiencing a heat wave that has seen the coolest temperature in the last week reach 37C.   Thank goodness for air conditioning.  Not only does it help keep everyone sane, but it allows me to knit when the outside temperature is making cinders of my garden.

I scouted about for a pattern but couldn't really find anything until I came across a pattern from China (I think) for a beautiful scalloped cast on.  There were no instructions .. I had to follow some pictures.  So I thought I would translate them here.  It looks a bit fiddly, and to be honest, it is to start with but once you get the hang of it, it's quite delightful.


Instructions for Scallop Cast On

One.   You will need your yarn, the appropriate knitting needles AND a crochet hook.

Two.  Holding both the knitting needle and the crochet hook together, cast on 10 stitches over both of them.

Three.  Wrap the yarn around the crochet hook.

Four.  Pull the hook loosely through the 10 stitches.  Don't pull too tightly at this point.

Five.  Using the end of the hook, place it through (pick up) the first of the 10 stitches.  Gently pull the knitting needle out.  The scallop will now be on the crochet hook, held in position by the first and last stitch.

Six.  Using your knitting needle, pick up the two stitches on the hook and transfer them to the needle.

Seven.  Using the first stitch on the needle as an anchor, cast on 10 stitches and continue the 'scallop' process.

Eight.  Continue the process until you have the desired amount of cast on stitches or scallops.


IMPORTANT NOTE:  Even though each scallop has only 2 stitches at the moment, it becomes 4 after the first round of knitting.  The first row is K1, make 2 using the backwards loop cast on, K1.  Repeat to end of row.
So, for example, this capelet requires 144 stitches so you need to do a quarter of 144 (36 scallops).   Each scallop becomes 4 stitches.  This pattern is a small size.  I would do 42 scallops for a medium and 50 scallops for a large.

This capelet calls for 5 x 50g balls of bamboo for a small size.  Allow an extra ball for the larger sizes. This capelet is knitted in the round and requires a set of circular needles.


Capelet Instructions

Once you have completed your cast on and have 36 scallops (it's definitely easier to count scallops than stitches),  join your yarn being careful not to twist your stitches and begin row one.

As I have already mentioned, row one is an increase row.

Knit 1, (this stitch is the original stitch), *K first stitch of first scallop, make 2 stitches using the backwards loop cast on., K1*  Repeat from * to end of the row.  You should now have the required number of stitches and are ready to knit your capelet.

Knit 18 rows of plain stockinette stitch.
Purl 18 rows

Repeat the previous 36 rows a further 2 times and then loosely cast off.  If your cast off is too tight, it will be to too snug around your shoulders and you may not be able to move your arms freely.


Knitted Rose.

These roses are just lovely.  Nice and full and very, very easy to make.

  • Firstly, cast on approximately 165 stitches.   I have used a circular needle as I use them all the time, even for non-circular patterns so standard needles are just fine.
  • Without joining up , knit 12 rows in plain stockinette stitch finishing on a purl row.  The reason for this is that you want the cast on tail on one side of the knitting and the cast off tail on the other.
  • Once you have the desired width of rose, thread a wool needle with the tail of your wool and thread it back through your stitches to cast off.
  • Pull firmly and you will end up with a twisty, twirly piece of knitting.
  • Starting at the end of the twist with the cast on tail, slowly ease it around and around and you end up with a lovely knitted rose.  
  • Once you have the desired shape, thread the tail from the cast on through the centre and gently pull.  This makes the edge of your knitting sink into the rose and then you can't see the edge.  Tie this end to the cast off tail and the rose is finished. 
  • Attach to your capelet and you are ready to go partying for the evening.




I must admit to being very happy with this capelet and I can't wait to wear it.  The bamboo has just enough stretch in it to keep is secure but it is so lovely and soft - perfect for bare shoulders in summer.


PRINTABLE INSTRUCTIONS

Happy Knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.



Disclaimer: We are all part of one big crafting community so please do not sell our patterns or claim them as your own. You are free to do what you wish with finished items but if you sell them online, please link back to us for pattern credit. Please use your own images if advertising an item for sale from our patterns.  We are not expert pattern designers and believe knitting and crochet is a wonderful art form.  Therefore, many of the ways we create things may not be according to established methods.

65 comments:

  1. Fabulous work! Love the color too!Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial!
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana .. and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hello .. The wool is 8ply (I assume this is DK - In Australia, we go on ply but various websites have said it's the same thing). 80% Bamboo & 20% wool. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. It does! Thanks so much! My sister has requested one. It is a beautiful pattern, thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
    3. One other question, I apologize!

      Early in the post you say that this is bamboo cotton, but you said in response here that it is a bamboo wool blend. Could you clarify? Again, I apologize for the 20 questions, I really appreciate your responses!

      Delete
    4. That is my error. It is definitely a bamboo/wool blend. I shall fix the error in the blog. So sorry to have confused you. I would love to see a picture when it is finished :-)

      Delete
    5. It looks like this is knit in the round - what size and length needles did you use? And how did you gather it at the front so cutely?

      Delete
    6. It is knit in the round (I try and knit most things this way if possible). I have knitpro interchangeable (love, love, love them) and I used the 4.00mm needles with the 60cm cable. When it came time to gather the front, I placed it over the mannequin and played around by gently gathering the cape and pinning the roses. When I was happy that they were in the right place, I sewed them on through the gather so it all holds in place really well. The sewing has to be really sturdy and I also sewed through some of the roses so that the 'anchor' point was spread out somewhat otherwise too much pressure would be on the middle of the rose and it would droop. Never a good look for a knitted or a real rose :-)

      Delete
    7. i have knit pro Nova and coming soon Karbonz..i am going to knit this great shawl using Caron Gold very soon...thank you for sharing your knowledge :-)

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! Though I don't knit :( I wonder if I can crochet one like that! Got you from Petals to Picots link party. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it would be quite easy to convert the pattern to crochet but as knitting is my first love, I always try to come up with knit patterns. Good luck with it :-)

      Delete
  4. This is just really gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very lovely and wth instructions too. Thanks!
    Dropping by from: BOTLP.
    My entry: Flora and Fauna from: joysnotepad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. The pictures of your roses are simply stunning.

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is so gorgeous!! I love everything about it. You did a fabulous job. Thanks for the great tutorial, too! I am so glad you shared at A Bouquet of Talent this week. I see a Friday feature already. :)
    Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy and thanks for hosting another great party. There is always so much going on. :-)

      Delete
  7. Wowza! Might need to make this for myself sometime soon. It looks lovely! What's the gauge/tension and what needle size did you use? I don't think I saw this info on the post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura .. I didn't swatch this at all as I mainly constructed the capelet from the number of scallops used to cast on. Once it was blocked and finished, there were 17 stitches per 10cm and the needle size was 4.00mm (AUS/UK sizing) The bamboo/wool is an 8ply. It's the bamboo in the wool that gives it such a lovely drape. Louise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yarn that it requires in a ombre print color but I want to know if it needs circular needles as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, This was definitely knitted on circular needles. ..

      Delete
  10. I just drooled when I saw this. OMG so elegant! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is elegant and fashionable. I have gone from top to bottom and I can't find a place where it prints the pattern off. I feel very foolish but if I have to I intend to hand write this one. I love it and my granddaughters would too. Thank you so much and God Bless you from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Thank you for your lovely comments. We have added printable instructions for you. Just scroll to the bottom of the blog post and you will find it. Good luck with your project.

      Delete
  12. Could you post a how-to video of the scallop edge cast on? I am having a hard time figuring it out just from the pictures and text.
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't see anything in your instructions about how to get the shape of it that you have pictured here. Did you just gather it in the center and stitch your gather in place as you placed the roses. At first, I thought it was twisted at the center, but then I realized that with the scalloped edging it was not. Thanks!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruthie ..
      When the capelet was finished, I placed it over a mannequin and gently gathered the front and held it in place with some pins. (It may even help to tie the front with a ribbon or some of the same yarn used in the capelet to help to hold it in place). I then sewed the roses onto the gathered area. I sewed the roses firmly, not only in the middle of the rose but also some of the outer petals to ensure that everything was held in place. It may take an extra slip stitch or 2 to make sure that the gathered area stays in shape. I hope this helps. .. :-)

      Delete
  14. Trabalhos maravilhosos!!!parabéns, adorei passar por aqui.
    Obrigada por compartilhar.
    Um beijinho de Portugal
    Mifá

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful! Would it work to use 40" circular needles? Also, just to be clear- are we joining and knitting in the round or just using circulars for their length? Thanks, I've only been knitting for a few months:) -Tonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tonya .. Yes, it is definitely joined and knitted in the round and 40" would be too large. I used a 60cm circular needle (measured from tip to tip of the needles. This is approx 23". I used the same circulars for the flowers but this time, I only used them for their length and did not join the flowers up. Good luck with your knitting. Believe me, it becomes VERY addictive. .. Louise

      Delete
    2. When you say joining...it doesn't look like the caplet is joined in the picture. Did you join it up after or before? And when you did...how did you get it to angle in at the front where the roses are attached?

      Delete
    3. Hi Amber, the capelet is knitted in the round so once the scallop cast on is finished, it's joined straight away and knitted like a cowl. The angle is created as the finished capelet is positioned off centre so the roses aren't all bunched in the middle. .. :-) .. Louise

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In your tutorial for the cast-on, what type of cast on are you using before you crochet the scallop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, I am using the cable cast on. :-)

      Delete
  18. This is really lovely. I didn't see any mention of yardage -- did I miss it? I'm going wool shopping tomorrow and am going to have to look for a bamboo blend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, The bamboo blend yardage would be approximately 550 - 600 Metres (600 to 650 yards). Happy shopping :-)

      Delete
  19. This is simply gorgeous. Hopefully i will knit this for me very soon. Am in love with this magnificent capelet. You are very generous for sharing it. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How do you finish the caplet? Meaning attaching the roses and getting the caplet to angle in where the roses are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber, Once the capelet was finished, I simply gathered the front. You can do this by either sewing a large running stitch from top to bottom and gently pulling it or by tying some yarn or ribbon around it. Either method is temporary and is removed once you have attached the roses. The roses need to be attached firmly and not just in the the middle so you will need to sew some of the outside petal to the capelet. I positioned the capelet just 'off-centre' sew the roses look like they are climbing up the shoulder.

      Delete
  21. How do you eliminate the space between the scallops when you cast on? I adore this capelet and the color. My scallops have spaces between them. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, sorry to take so long to get back to you. I was quite firm with my tension once I had completed the actual scallop. I was not too firm during the construction of them, but made sure that when I went to cast on a new scallop that there was no give. Also, when I went to cast on a new scallop, I used the cable cast on which is where you insert the needle before the stitch and not through the stitch.

      Delete
  22. Wow! Wow! And Wow! It’s truly an honor. Thank you so much! I’m new to this and working hard to get out there. La Vie

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! Too bad I'm not much of a knitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. The pattern is really very simple. Once you get past the cast on it is just rows of knitting and purling.

      Delete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful tutorial! I'll definitely try it out! :) Visit my blog as well: jelenacreative.blogspot.com (I write mainly in Serbian but you can choose the option to translate the site into English) All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Louise, I absolutely love this! Would it be okay for me to knit one and have it on display in my shop? I won't print or sell the pattern of course just hang a nice little blackboard on it with the link to you. I'm sure it will help me sell tons of yarn! I'm in the uk if that's of any interest and this is my shop theskepknittingandquiltingshop.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello .. We'd love it if you would like to knit one and have it in your shop. It's just a shame that we aren't able to come and visit the shop personally as it looks great .. You are living our dream by being surrounded by all the crafty things you love. We'd also love it if you would be able to send us a photo of the capelet in your shop. It's so nice to have photos of our patterns that people have made. Thanks so much for your interest in the pattern. .. Louise

      Delete
  26. Will do Louise, thanks for your generosity. It might be a while before I get it done, I can't decide which yarn to use! Thanks again, Clare

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have been admiring this scallop and trying to knit it from the pictures I found on-line, but it just wasn't looking right. Thank you so much for writing out your method and sharing it. I think the cable cast on will be what makes the difference - it gives the right structure to the scallop edge. Last week I took a class with Candace Eisner Strick (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/moonlight-sonata-3) learning how to make her crescent shaped shawlets. One of her examples had an edge like this, but we didn't have time to learn how it was done. Now I can!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello,
    I was just so taken by this from the instance that I saw it as I knew that my eldest girl would just love it. She is to be married in April on a beach and it will likely be cold/wet and she had asked if I would knit her a little shrug similar to the one worn at night by HRH Duchess of Cambridge at her wedding to Prince William. I think this would look much more her and if Im clever with the yarn too hopefully it will look gorgeous for the night when she will be enjoying herself and mingling with her guests! Im making little fluffy sequined boleros for the 2 small flower girls too so they dont get cold either!
    Other than the knitting in the round which I just CANT do, I cant wait to give this a try as it looks just beautiful!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so glad that you like the capelet and for taking the time to let us know. Good luck with all your knitting and the wedding.

      Delete
  29. This really reminds me of Belle's dress from Beauty & the Beast. It would make a lovely costume! As well ass just being adorable in general, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, I just love this! I usually crochet -- in fact, haven't knitted anything in years. But I think I just might give this a try. Not afraid of knitting in the round, but we'll see. Thanks so much for the pattern and how-to photos!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Traumhaft! Ich werde das stricken :) unbedingt!!
    Danke fürs teilen
    Herzlichst
    yase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you .. We're happy you like it ..

      Delete
  32. Hello Louise,
    Thank you very much for sharing. It's a very lovely and unique capelet.
    I hope you don't mind but I got inspired and made one(my own way) for my etsy shop, of course I gave you the credit in my item description.

    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/206994734/organic-wrap-capelet?ref=shop_home_feat_3

    Thanks again,

    Bye

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis