Saturday, 6 July 2013

Chevron Delight Infinity Scarf

Pin It

The ‘delight’ in this infinity scarf is not so much the scarf or the choice of yarn but the fact that my daughter asked if I could knit her a ‘chevron something’.  All knitterly mums out there would recognise the delight of being asked by their child to make something for them.  It doesn't happen all that often so it is a cause for rejoicing when it does. 

It was proving a bit tricky to get started though.  The initial thought was just plain striping but when I showed Hayley some self patterning wool, she really liked them so I set about knitting some swatches to see which gave the best overall pattern.  After a couple of days of knitting swatches, plain colours looked the best so, in shades of grey, a pattern was devised .. and that's when the delight faded.


The Chevron Delight Scarf doubles as a
cowl when wrapped twice.


After showing Hayley some cowls, we chose one that she liked and so I spend a couple of evenings knitting.  It turns out that it was the pattern she liked, not the cowl so I undid that and started again.

After a few hours of knitting the scarf, a rookie mistake meant that I had to unravel it and start again.  Next attempt saw me with half a design more than I needed.  4th attempt saw me start and forget to do the provisional cast on.  The 'delight' for this scarf was well and truly waning.

However, the pattern was striking so I persevered and finally, the pattern came together.



Materials

I used Bendigo Woollen Mill 8ply luxury wool.  They are available in 200g balls and I ended up using just over half of one of their balls for each colour.
approx 120g black 8ply
approx 120g grey 8ply
approx 120g silver 8ply
Set 4.00mm knitting needles
DOUBLE DECREASE

Abbreviations

Ddec - Double decrease
The double decrease is a lovely, neat decrease.
The diagram to the right shows how it is done.

Slip 2 stitches as if to knit to RHS needle. Knit next stitch.  Pick up slipped stitches and pass over the knitted stitch


YO - Yarn over
M1 - this can be done in a number of ways.  You can knit into the front and the back of the stitch, You can lift the 'bar' (the yarn between the 2 stitches) and knit this or you can make a stitch using the backwards loop cast on.  I chose knitting the bar between the stitches.

Pattern  *Amended Jan 4*

Using a contrasting yarn, provisionally cast on 69 stitches.  I use the crochet method.  You can watch a good demonstration of this here.

Using black yarn, purl the next row (wrong side) 

Row 1: (Set up row) K4, K5, Ddec, K6 YO, K1, YO, (K6, Ddec, K6, YO, K1, YO) 2 times. K6, Ddec, K5 to last 4 stitches, K4

Row 2: (and all even rows), Slip 1, K3, Purl to last 4 stitches, K4

Row 3: Slip 1, K3, M1, K5, Ddec, K6, YO, K1, YO, (K6, Ddec, K6, YO, K1, YO) twice, K6, Ddec, K5 to last 4 stitches, M1, K4

Rows 2 & 3 form the pattern.

The first stitch for each row is slipped to keep the edges of the scarf neat.  I always slip the first stitch of any row so I don't end up with very loose edge stitches.

The colour chart is 

Black - 8 rows
Silver - 2 rows
Grey - 8 rows
Black - 2 rows
Silver - 8 rows
Grey - 2 rows

Following the colour combination above, continue knitting for a further 9 repeats (making a total pattern repeat of 10). 

IMPORTANT TIP:  There are a lot of colour changes in this scarf so I made sure that I weaved in any loose ends as I was knitting them.  This entails holding both colour ends together and wrapping them around the working yarn as each stitch is knitted.  All this leaves are little ends that can be snipped once the scarf is finished.  It would be a mammoth job to thread a needle and weave in each end once the scarf was finished

Blocking


BEFORE I removed the provisional cast on to join up, I blocked whilst it was flat.  It is much easier to block a scarf than a cowl.  After blocking, the length of the scarf was 138cm. I used my usual method of pinning and spraying with water and leaving overnight to dry.  It's always lovely to get up in the morning to a freshly blocked piece of knitting waiting to be finished.

Joining

Slowly remove the provisional cast on and transfer the stitches to a knitting needle and using the 3 needle bind off method, cast off all stitches.  Weave in all ends and you are finished.

I finished the scarf when my daughter was visiting so I gave it to her to try on.  She liked it .. and I did notice that she did not take it off while she was here.

The 'delight' in this infinity scarf has come back in spades.

Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.









 

10 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! Oh another one to go on my never ending knitting list :) Oh and I love Bendigo''s wool so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, Thanks! I can only order Bendigo wool online. I'm not sure I could trust myself if I was left alone at the mill, there is so much to choose from :-) Louise

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous scarf Louise! And yes - I understand how wonderful it is when your kids actually ask you to make something for them!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. It's always a pleasure to link up to a Round Tuit. Hope you are having a crafty week. Louise

      Delete
  3. The set up row does not work. I have tried it 3 times now and have counted it out to need 71 stitches. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies .. you actually need a set up row of 72 stitches. I omitted the final K4 when I was counting. Each pattern repeat requires 16 stitches. I did 4 repeats making 64 stitches. I then added 4 for the edging instead of 8. Kind regards, Louise

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. This is gorgeous and I'm going to try to start one today. Thanks for sharing your pattern. I also have a blog ( come and visit me sometime :)) I am now one of your newest followers. Thank again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, maybe Im reading the pattern wrong but i cant seem to figure out where I would end the pattern if I only wanted to make three chevron peeaks so mine isn't as thick? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis