Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Record Cake Stand

Pin It
We have an important birthday coming up in our household in about six months time.  I've already started planning the party, even though my husband thinks it's way to early to even think about.  He has a point of course, but I just can't help myself.  I've already mostly planned the menu, told my soon to be adult son the number of guests he can invite, planned what to do with the tricky situation of alcohol consumption (18 is the legal drinking age in Australia) and now my mind is working on the little details that I personally find very rewarding.




While the dinner menu is pretty much put together, what to actually have for dessert isn't nearly so well thought out, even though we've already planned how the sweets will be displayed.  When I mentioned to my son we could have cake stands made from records he was pretty impressed and so it was I found myself in our local Salvos shop looking for records that would suit.  There really wasn't anything I thought he'd be overly impressed with and in the end for the princely sum of $2 came away with the a Tracy Ullman 10" extended remix of "Breakaway", purchased as they didn't have any singles in stock and I needed a smaller size record,  together with  "West Side Story".  Definitely not the birthday boy's taste in music, let me assure you of that, but Indie rock is nowhere to be found  in charity/thrift stores.

I've been looking on eBay for cake stand holders and I'm pleased to say that they're easy and cheap to buy in bulk, but for my little experiment to see if my plan would come together I used a holder that was my grandmother's.  The very last time she held my son was when he was almost two, so it was with some nostalgia that I used it when planning for his 18th.

I  think that if I can find a few 10" records as well as LP's and singles, that we could actually end up with three tiered stands.  I'm still not sure if dessert will include tiny cupcakes and marshmallows, but I'm really delighted with how steady the cake stand is.  Let the dessert planning begin!

Happy party planning

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  
We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.


7 comments:

  1. What a cute idea!
    xoxo
    Michelle @ Ya Gotta Have a Hobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle - had a great time visiting Ya Gotta Have a Hobby

      Delete
  2. That is such a cool cake stand!! I love this idea!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, and thanks for hosting another inspirational Round Tuit!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana, always a pleasure to take part.

      Delete
  4. So cool!!!! What a great way to use old records! Cute! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ USS Crafty

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis